Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default GameStop buys Impulse?

The news of the day seems to be that GameStop is buying Impulse. I'm still hoping that this is an April Fool's joke, but it doesn't look like it. The last time a portal was purchased that we had games on it went bad very quickly and basically another distribution avenue was cut off for us. I'm worried that this is about to happen again.

From my point of view, and I do realize I'm biased, one of nice things and I think one of the key selling points of Impulse compared to Steam is that they seem to accept way more indie games. So as a gamer you have a broader choice of games to buy from their platform. Now the question is will GameStop feel the same way or will they follow Steam's lead? If they keep accepting lots of indie games and put more money and marketing muscle behind Impulse they could do amazing things for indie developers, gamers, and the game industry as whole. Or they could act like most companies and simply play follow the leader and end up as the poor man's Steam. Which path will they take? I hope they take the former, but I worry that they will take the later.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Expert

Since it's GameStop, I think the latter is more likely. Are you gonna keep your games on Impulse?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
Since it's GameStop, I think the latter is more likely. Are you gonna keep your games on Impulse?
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

I like Steam for the most part (except the part of being rejected), but the industry as a whole needs them to have a real competitor. I'm hoping that GameStop + Impulse can be that competitor. I don't think the chances are terribly good, but I can still hope.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Expert

I'd like to be as hopeful for you, but as a former EB/GameStop employee...I just can't be. Sigh.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Champion

In an alternate history where this was instead one of the "lesser" stores that GS gobbled up instead of GS....

Definitely casts a shadow on any future Impulse purchases from me, though all I had left in particular were the promised things as an Elemental early pre-order person. Gamersgate, GoG, Steam, and direct to dev look to be all I have left aside from the odd bit from Amazon.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Elite

Here's to hoping that Desura can make a mark for Indies!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Elite

This just in: Blind Mind Studios pulls Star Ruler out of Impulse.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Champion

Over here (NL, Europe) most smaller game shops (that might carry the more interesting games as opposed to the AAA stuff) are gone, and all we have left is the big guys selling the generic stuff. If I want an interesting JRPG for my PSP, well, good luck to me because there's no way I'll find it here; all my recent game purchases are import. My point is that it seems that nowadays "they" only go for the safe sale. I can get COD anywhere, but finding something like Blazblue is next to impossible. And now this behavior is spreading throughout the internet, as the smaller and therefor interesting distributors are disappearing. I'm very disappointed about this Gamestop takeover, and will most likely not purchase anything on Impulse from now on.
I'm very curious as to how this will play out though, and will most certainly keep a close eye on it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Champion

That's because in the case of Blazblue, the delay was so long most Euros imported it. At least you guys will get Arcana Heart (which is better), though releasing that on the same day in the states as Mortal Kombat is beyond stupid.

I see no reason for Gamestop to intentionally sabotage Impulse. I do see a scenario where they bungle it though. I do hope Gamestop keeps the indie game cred up, I think they will though. The cost to put a title on a DD service is minimal, and gamestop does carry some indie console games.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Champion

The more I think about this, the more angry I get.
I have several games on Impulse. I bought those games knowing and trusting the Stardock name. Now Stardock simply sold it and I feel like I've been had. This also exposes a problem with digital distribution; as a (paying) customer I can sink money into a service, only to see it change hands (and potentially get f@cked up) or disappear altogether (because of competition).
On a sidenote: it's been said that competition is good for the market, but I think that's BS. Remember Thatcher? How is the crippling or disappearance of a smaller DD service in the market (where many people have games they paid for) a good thing for the players? Lower prices would be nice, sure, but if a service goes out of business the people having games on it lose out big time.
I'm holding on to my discs for a while longer. O, and the purchase of Elemental is off the agenda.

Edit: seems I'm not alone in this, interesting reading:
http://forums.stardock.com/407118

Last edited by Maledictus : 04-03-2011 at 05:35 PM.