Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Amateur

Default Defending from bounty hunters on Expert

Hi, guys. Loving the game, especially how with raise in levels different things change in unexpected ways making you change your tactics and build.

Anyways I am at level 40. Playing challenge map marked with level 36.
And bounty hunters kill me in 4 shots if not quicker while most enemies need at least dozen of shots, its such a difference in power from bosses and races ships that seems unbalanced. At least I die barley being able to damage those bounty hunters.
Anyone else had such problems? And luck or tips on how to counter them?
I am trying improve my defense and have such stats:
Shields 930
Armor 540
Structure 270
Resistances from 8% to 31%

I am currently trying to improve armor and structure but does not help, after that am thinking to try improving resistances.

What builds you guys are using around that time?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Elite

My usual trick is to head out of the system, dropping mines behind me. The bounty hunter can't shoot me and the mines eventually destroy it.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Amateur

What bothers me is that the risk vs reward on bounty hunters is way messed up.

They are the only mob in the game that I need to kite to survive, and yet they drop crap. So they either should be toned down a bit or at least drop rarer loot.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Expert

I'm not sure if bounty hunters really need to drop good loot, though I guess it wouldn't hurt if they did.

Unlike just about everything else in the game bounty hunters don't just consider you a target of opportunity, they're coming specifically to get you rather than the other way around.
As such they're already the "risk" part of a bigger "risk vs. reward" and it would be odd if you had an extra incentive to fight them. (hunters aren't good hunters if they just feed the prey)

Of course, I don't think it would hurt if they dropped better loot because as you said, right now feels strange in another way. The fact that they don't drop better loot is also odd because it goes against the notion of stronger enemies dropping better loot.

I dunno, I'm not sure if I would see it as an overall improvement because it feels like trading being weird in one way for being weird in another way.

Last edited by Professor Paul1290 : 12-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Expert

My problem with bounty hunters is they jump you while you're attacking someone else and drop you before you can react. It's the same issue I have with the enemies that lay triple-mines.

That may be because I have a fragile ship (400 shields, 500 armor, 200 structure), but it seems like I get two-shotted within a second by bounty hunters way too often.

(Not only that, but in one sector I'm apparently being hunted by 2 dozen of them from a single race. How does that even work? Will I have to fight 2-3 bounty hunters at once?)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Elite

Same here. I'm toast in a shot or two when a bounty hunter sneaks up on you. They should be toned down by about 50% IMO.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:05 AM
Amateur

Angry Bounty Hunters ruining the game

Just to toss in some feedback for someone coming in late to the game. My level 58 dude got killed seven times with five minutes by two bounty hunters camping on my spawn point. My only option was to jump with a crippled ship into enemy space with a weak secondary weapon (a freaking mass driver as that. Everything else was destroyed or level capped.) Guess what was waiting for me in the enemy sector? Yeah, another god damned bounty hunter.

So, is there a config or console option to turn them off or tone them down? I went from loving this game to getting beat with the FU stick very fast.
--
TAZ

(Might be a necro post, but the issue is the same which tells me it has not been fixed as far as I know.)