Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default Big changes in next game

I mentioned this a little the other day with a tweet, but I thought it was important enough to get its own post.

During playtesting, I have found that the mutation between characters is really cool, but happening after death was really inconvenient. Adding something inconvenient right when someone might be frustrated isn't a good plan. It also gets in the way of pacing. It introduced a thoughtful, planning process right in the middle of a lot of action. So I've changed how this works.

Now you can mutate between characters whenever you want (limited by mutation points). With this change, the player has much more control over the process, it simplifies a bunch of things especially multiplayer, it will scare off less players because semi-permadeath sounds scary, it works better with pacing, and it even makes it easier to explain the game.

The mutation between characters and permadeath have always been tied together. Changing the mutation to whenever the player wants does make permadeath unnecessary, so that is going away also. I think these changes will make the game much better, but it is a little strange that my working name for the game is hardcore and that's the part I'm removing. This is one of the nice things about being an indie. I can explore a design and change anything I need to to make it the best game possible.

BTW, for those that do like hardcore, there is still a hardcore option similar to our previous games.

Comments as always are welcome and encouraged!
Patreon
Old 03-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Elite

I guess this complicates your naming quandary, since Din's Legacy doesn't really apply anymore.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
I guess this complicates your naming quandary, since Din's Legacy doesn't really apply anymore.
I have considered that. I'm still leaning towards using Din's Legacy.

While it's no longer a legacy type of game like Rogue Legacy, it still does fit from a story standpoint since you are trying to prove to the world that the Mutated are a "good" race.
Patreon
Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 PM
Expert

Maybe the mutating upon death (or some version of it) could be an option somewhere?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Legend

How does the skill tree work in this iteration? (Actually I have no idea how it was in the previous one either)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
How does the skill tree work in this iteration? (Actually I have no idea how it was in the previous one either)
The layout is still similar to DC/Zombasite, however, there are a lot of differences:
  • Skill starting costs are lower (so the trees are a bit flatter)
  • You can get new skills when you mutate
  • Skills themselves can mutate
  • It is much cheaper to remove skill levels
  • You can get free skill levels when you mutate
  • When you mutate with another character or specialty you can gain new skills or lose skills you aren't using
Patreon
Old 03-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, the skills can't be gated in this game because there is not guarantee you have any specific skill.
Patreon
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Amateur

Wow i didn't see this before. I actually heard about din's legacy when you wanted to use the old idea and make a semi permadeath game and i was like yeah no i'll skip this one.

Then i noticed a steam release and didn't see anything about permadeath in ctrl F so i got confused and investigated more then bought the game xD

Things aren't perfect but after a few patches and some polishing it should be great.