Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Amberjoy's Avatar
Amberjoy Amberjoy is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calif.
Posts: 302
Default Avernum - Escape From the Pit (new version)

Spiderweb has released the Mac version of the rewrite of Avernum 1 (Escape from the pit). More quests and dungeons and a town (I think) added in. Artwork new, more like Avadon for player stats, buttons, etc. I've been playing it for hours! Everytime I feel like I've done this before so therefore such and such should happen next I come upon something new! Much bigger game. Well worth the money I think. But, then I'm prejudiced, my son has been doing beta testing for months and I'd hear him cussing and swearing at the new added stuff till he figured it out. Wouldn't let me know anything about it, of course, but I had ears to hear what was going on. I'm having a lot of fun playing the demo so far.

Give it a try!
__________________
Help save the earth, it's the only one with chocolate!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
DeathKnight1728's Avatar
DeathKnight1728 DeathKnight1728 is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,074
Default

I sometimes really wish that someday i could beta test ANY spiderweb software game. Maybe ill impersonate your son next time there is a beta

But seriously, ive beta tested soldak, but everytime i tried spiderweb they are very rigid on who they choose. Ill have to try my luck on avadon 2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I sometimes really wish that someday i could beta test ANY spiderweb software game. Maybe ill impersonate your son next time there is a beta

But seriously, ive beta tested soldak, but everytime i tried spiderweb they are very rigid on who they choose. Ill have to try my luck on avadon 2
Makes sense that a Spiderweb beta will be much more closed. Games with a plot get ruined when everyone knows their plot, so you want to ruin it for as few people as possible. If it was an open beta, all the fans would know the plot of the game before it was sold. Random games like Soldak's don't really suffer from having many people play them -- they just get more exposure that way.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Amberjoy's Avatar
Amberjoy Amberjoy is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calif.
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I sometimes really wish that someday i could beta test ANY spiderweb software game. Maybe ill impersonate your son next time there is a beta

But seriously, ive beta tested soldak, but everytime i tried spiderweb they are very rigid on who they choose. Ill have to try my luck on avadon 2
unfortuneatly I don't know what 'alias' he uses on their forums, nor what he's told Spiderweb about himself. He's beta tested at least 4 of their games on a Mac.
__________________
Help save the earth, it's the only one with chocolate!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:10 PM
DeathKnight1728's Avatar
DeathKnight1728 DeathKnight1728 is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,074
Default

Not really enthused at this game. I played it for a few days and its too hard. I cant even hit anything. You'd think that the game would change from its original where you cant hit anything. Its such a shame too as it could have been fun.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Not really enthused at this game. I played it for a few days and its too hard. I cant even hit anything. You'd think that the game would change from its original where you cant hit anything. Its such a shame too as it could have been fun.
That's strange since Jeff has said that over the years he has realized that he needs to make his games much easier.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, & Zombasite
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's strange since Jeff has said that over the years he has realized that he needs to make his games much easier.
I think given the short release cycle for this game, and given that it's a re-release of one of his earliest games, it would have been way too much work to redo the balance etc and make the game easier to play. Reworking the balance, skill system etc would have been a huge task, and once he'd done that, he probably would have wanted to improve the story so it's at the level of his later games... In other words, once you do some heavy redesign work, you might as well do more to improve the game, and eventually you end up with a whole new game.

I think the main thing Jeff wanted to do here was to improve the graphics by porting the game to his latest engine and to get the game onto the iPad as soon as possible, where I think he's been making a lot of money with Avadon.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM
DeathKnight1728's Avatar
DeathKnight1728 DeathKnight1728 is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's strange since Jeff has said that over the years he has realized that he needs to make his games much easier.
The problem is character level. Chance to hit from adding strength or whatever your attribute is helps too but not as much. There are supposedly hidden bonuses and negatives to all your attributes and enemy attributes/resistances based on level. If you are level 2, you cant go up against any major battles and as such are resigned to fighting what encounter enemies there are. You do that until level 3 where you then can go do the goblins or bandit fortress. Im level 7 now and i still cant fight against sliths though i still can fight some nephils.

I prefer the second trilogy where character level isnt as much of a problem. Those games were still tough, but not as annoying as this.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
The problem is character level. Chance to hit from adding strength or whatever your attribute is helps too but not as much. There are supposedly hidden bonuses and negatives to all your attributes and enemy attributes/resistances based on level. If you are level 2, you cant go up against any major battles and as such are resigned to fighting what encounter enemies there are. You do that until level 3 where you then can go do the goblins or bandit fortress. Im level 7 now and i still cant fight against sliths though i still can fight some nephils.

I prefer the second trilogy where character level isnt as much of a problem. Those games were still tough, but not as annoying as this.
Yeah sounds like old-school design. Similar to making you take out pen and paper to map out a maze in old adventures. You might want to consult a walkthrough to make your experience more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Amberjoy's Avatar
Amberjoy Amberjoy is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calif.
Posts: 302
Default

There is much talk about some of the quests being too hard, ie. the big bosses in the forums. Looks like those may be 'tamed' down a bit. I was complaining about that very thing to my son (who beta tested it). I had to wait till I was level 8 before tackling the 'boss' in the bat cave! Not to mention having to come back for the various 'kitty' quests and the undead cave near Mertis. Really annoying. And I really hate wasting spell points/spells and 'missing' the enemy! I miss a lot with every one my characters. I've stuck through the game and am now running around Patrick's Tower and town of Dharmon. I've had to use the 'cheat' list a number of times, sad to say, just to survive. This is not the romp I remember the first time around.
__________________
Help save the earth, it's the only one with chocolate!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2016 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.