Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Expert

Ok, this is beyond a simple performance issue, it qualifies as a bug that renders the product unusable.

Yes, unusable. The only reason I'm not asking for a refund is that I think your time should be spent trying to fix the issue rather than process complaints for a tenner :P

I have reinstalled Din without the demon war - it works absolutely perfectly on my Mac.

That said, and until this issue is fixed, you need to provide some sort of warning of the performance difference between the original product and the version with the add-on. It will avoid a lot of disappointment in your customers. I'm not too fussed, but kids buying games on limited pocket money might be
Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlex View Post
Ok, this is beyond a simple performance issue, it qualifies as a bug that renders the product unusable.

Yes, unusable. The only reason I'm not asking for a refund is that I think your time should be spent trying to fix the issue rather than process complaints for a tenner :P

I have reinstalled Din without the demon war - it works absolutely perfectly on my Mac.

That said, and until this issue is fixed, you need to provide some sort of warning of the performance difference between the original product and the version with the add-on. It will avoid a lot of disappointment in your customers. I'm not too fussed, but kids buying games on limited pocket money might be
Hi guys, first post, great game. Sad to say that my first participation in the community involves this same issue. I thought it was just me!

Running on a Mac as well. Played the demo, bought DC then played some more and everything was fine. A couple of weeks later I figured the expansion was worth it, so bought, downloaded, installed, and *bam*! Crappy performance, at least compared to when I had vanilla DC.

I think Bluddy is correct in saying that the slowdown mostly occurs in DW areas. I know next to nothing about all this mipmapping stuff, and this isn't the sort of thing that'll stop me from playing the game, but I will say that I miss the smooth performance I had in DC.

Could we ask for a fix here, Shadow? It's a great product and my system doesn't exactly make the game unplayable, but it'd be nice to go back to a stable FPS. Can't quite appreciate all the new content when it's constantly stuttering, you see
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Amateur

Issue up since January of 2012 and the only response has been about mip-mapping, without any possible fix in sight.
Here I thought indie devs were supposed to be responsive about fixing bugs for the few customers they have.
Customer Service = the reason you can make money.

Otherwise, just look at Bioware's ME3 debacle. >_>
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton2k View Post
Issue up since January of 2012 and the only response has been about mip-mapping, without any possible fix in sight.
Here I thought indie devs were supposed to be responsive about fixing bugs for the few customers they have.
Customer Service = the reason you can make money.

Otherwise, just look at Bioware's ME3 debacle. >_>
To be fair, Soldak has only one programmer (Shadow), and he's currently very busy with getting the next game ready. To be able to develop a game at the same time as patching previous games takes something closer to Arcen's staff, which is 3 devs, and even then, they barely have time to patch AI War while working on their new game.

Also, this is not a minor bug. It's something that'll take a lot of debugging effort and a lot of time. The fact that it hasn't been found until now shows that there have been few users who have Macs playing the game. I only got a Mac about half a year ago, and Amberjoy's the only other forum regular who I know has a Mac. So this slipped through the cracks while developing Demon War, and that kind of stuff happens. I can attest to the fact that while DC was in beta, Shadow did an amazing job patching it as well as the previous games, and I'm sure once Drox is out he'll have time to do it again.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

This is definitely on my list of things to figure out what is going on, but so far I haven't been able to reproduce anything. For everyone that is seeing this problem what's the name of the dungeons/caves that you are having the problems with and what version of OS X are you on?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Legend

I'm on OSX Lion.

Looks to me like there are 2 problems.

1. Both Depths of Peril and Din's Curse run much slower in OSX (at least on Lion) then they do on Wine. In Wine, on my 2011 MBP, I get a near consistent 60 fps in-game. In DC on Wine, being in an actively spawning level can lower the fps to 42 or so occasionally, which is still fine -- performance quickly bounces back to 60 fps. The OSX apps for both DC and DoP run at around 30 fps. If I zoom in all the way in DoP I can get close to 55 fps, but as soon as I zoom out I'm down to around 30 fps again, which is half the fps I get in Wine. The same applies to DC.

Of course, since DC and DoP start out at around 30 fps, there isn't much lower for them to go before things start getting really bad.

Some people on this thread have reported that even on Wine performance degrades after a while. I haven't personally experienced this, but maybe I haven't played for a long enough stretch.

BTW Kivi doesn't seem to have this problem. The OSX app runs at 60 fps, just like on Wine.

2. There's an extra problem with DC in DW levels. If you load up the attached character, you'll see it's in an empty level. Even in this empty level, if you keep running around (at least in Lion), performance will be very bad after a minute, especially if you light up the lamps (I think that has an effect but I'm not sure). The dungeon is Halls of Grime.
Attached Files
File Type: zip char.zip (21.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Legend

Shadow, have you been able to reproduce this?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Shadow, have you been able to reproduce this?
I have not had a chance to look at it yet. I have something you can test though. If you go to the console and change blendedTiles to 0, does that help the speed? The ground should look blocky when you make this change.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I have not had a chance to look at it yet. I have something you can test though. If you go to the console and change blendedTiles to 0, does that help the speed? The ground should look blocky when you make this change.
I disabled blending and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Sorry.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Amateur

Arcen games' A Valley Without Wind had a similar problem in its beta that Chris Park was able to fix. I'm trying to track down the Mantis report that dealt with it. I know that the Arcen guys are big fans of Soldak's work. They would probably be happy to help in this case.