Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drox Operative Challenges

We've recently added a new feature called challenges that I think is going to be really interesting for players. Essentially challenges are special sectors that are tougher than normal, have a specific setup (not random), and do many things that can't normally happen.

How it works is every 6 levels there is another challenge sector, and one extra at level 100, for a total of 17 challenges. This is visually represented as 4 sectors per quadrant and 1 final challenge for the galaxy on the challenges screen. When you beat one, the next one unlocks and you can play any unlocked challenge sector whenever you want. Each challenge has a title and a short description to give you a little glimpse of what you will be facing in that challenge.

The big difference between a challenge sector and a normal sector is that the initial conditions are hand crafted instead of being random. They have a set level, sector size, races present, quests, wars, alliances, and even sector modifiers. This seems a little strange for a game that has so much randomness in it, however they create a cool, shared experience. It always starts out the same, but the random events and the players' actions will quickly make an impact. Then everyone can compare how their challenges went. It will be interesting to see how varied the end results will be and what the players decided to do.

Ok, so how about some actual examples? The first challenge starts off with all ten main races present when usually the max is six. It is really crowded and pretty chaotic. In one of my runs, I changed my allegiances at least three times. The fourth challenge starts with most of the sector colonized, only two races are left, and there is a huge war already. You can't possibly make them both happy, so which one do you choose? The twelfth challenge starts with one race in a huge lead, but they are at war with a four much smaller races who are allies with one another. Can the giant win or will all of the bees sting it to death? Even more importantly, who will the Drox Operatives help?

Oh, did I mention that the reward chest you get when winning a challenge for the first time is much better than a normal sector? Well it is.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Champion

I am generally not a big scenario player. I prefer a sandbox to a set encounter. These sound like they integrate well into the existing sandbox dynamic gameplay though, so I will likely give them a go until I beat them all. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Amateur

That sounds like a really cool idea!
A lot of these random map games tend to have some form of hand-built areas.
Be it boss fight locations or special puzzle sections.
It's a good way for you as the developer to have some control over the user's experience and direct things the way you want them rather than leaving the whole experience random.

I look forward to giving these challenges a go and comparing my experience to others.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Elite

Great idea. The level 100 challenge might even satisfy those looking to claim they have "beaten" the game.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
Great idea. The level 100 challenge might even satisfy those looking to claim they have "beaten" the game.
That was actually the basic reason behind the original idea before they became challenges. It gives a nice overhead type of goal that is persistent across the sectors.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Amateur

I can haz play yet?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Champion

nice idea, I want to play Drox soon
And beat all challenges, here on forum we can share experience on single challenges, best setups and so on
Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornova View Post
nice idea, I want to play Drox soon
I'm thinking just a few more days. Don't hold me to that though.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Elite

I love these challenges ideas!
I second Pixelord's claim--though again, don't hold us to it!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Champion

My wife has asked me to give her a few days notice before I become emotionally unavailable and for-go my earthly responsibilities, so I appreciate the heads up gentlemen. Bring on the challenges, I shall be ready!