Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 AM
Amateur

Default Kill named monster quests

I've been having a real hard time finding these guys. I had pretty much cleared the sector while running other quests, so I refreshed the fog of war and cleared it again without finding 'Hook'.

Can these creatures wander very far afield, outside the main sector map?

Also do you receive a failed mission message if they are killed by other monsters or races?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

They can probably wander a little bit out or the system, but not too far.

It will fail the quest if anything else kills them.
Patreon
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Elite

Could you add a map marker telling the location of a named monster ship? Or at least add some vague directions to the quest text,
similar to "Named Ship was last seen in orbit around planet X in system Y" or "Named Ship was seen with a group of Monster Ships in system Y" .
Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
Could you add a map marker telling the location of a named monster ship? Or at least add some vague directions to the quest text,
similar to "Named Ship was last seen in orbit around planet X in system Y" or "Named Ship was seen with a group of Monster Ships in system Y" .
They are indeed extremely hard to find. I think a marker of their last known location on the system map would be very helpful.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I can add their exact position. I wouldn't mind finding some kind of middle ground between looking forever for the bad guy in a large place and sticking a huge arrow to his current location.
Patreon
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I can add their exact position. I wouldn't mind finding some kind of middle ground between looking forever for the bad guy in a large place and sticking a huge arrow to his current location.
That's why 'last known location at the time the quest was given' is probably a good compromise. If the bad guy moved since then, he won't exactly be there, but he'll probably be close.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
That's why 'last known location at the time the quest was given' is probably a good compromise. If the bad guy moved since then, he won't exactly be there, but he'll probably be close.
Depending on how far away the boss is from where you get the quest, he could probably wander pretty far...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpirate View Post
Depending on how far away the boss is from where you get the quest, he could probably wander pretty far...
That's true. I'm kind of willing to accept that level of randomness, but at the same time, I think it also makes sense that if you go to a planet of the race that gave you the quest within the same system, they'd be able to point you in the general direction (ie. a more updated location).

Honestly, though, for simplicity's sake, it might just be best to have an updated marker on your map. In DC and DoP, you could find the boss within 30 seconds, while here it can take half an hour.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Champion

If there's supposed to be a 4X game under the hood, maybe you should be ble to spend money or faction to use their revealed map to find things. This might just slow the game down, since grinding faction and buying victory is so important, but it is pretty dumb you can't follow a trail because no other planet gives a hoot about the quest you're on.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Champion

What about an auto-refreching spot on the map, once every three minutes or so ? And maybe with a light or medium stuff, it could have a quicker refrech, so that in higher levels, it blips once every ten secondes ?