Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drox beta patch 0.904

Beta Patch 0.904 of Drox Operative is available over on the Drox Operative patch page. Changes can be read here. This patch addresses the win/lose conditions, makes race for the player more important, and fixes a bunch of other things.
Patreon
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Elite

Patch looks great. A quick note, the Cortex bonuses are obscured by the "advanced options" title in the ship creation screen.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Elite

New race bonuses are cool, though I wonder if the Engineering races are strongest now.

New lose condition lends itself to more interesting situations. I'm unclear on what the new win condition fixes, though. Is it just to stop silly players from blowing all their cash on positive rumors?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
I'm unclear on what the new win condition fixes, though. Is it just to stop silly players from blowing all their cash on positive rumors?
It along with some race changes should make the end game more exciting instead of dragging out when everyone becomes friends.
Patreon
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
It along with some race changes should make the end game more exciting instead of dragging out when everyone becomes friends.
RE Win Condition: But won't the best strategy now be to ally yourself with one race from the beginning and ignore all the quests and dynamics of the others? In other words, if my goal is to ally with one race by the end, why would I complete quests from any other race besides that one?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
RE Win Condition: But won't the best strategy now be to ally yourself with one race from the beginning and ignore all the quests and dynamics of the others? In other words, if my goal is to ally with one race by the end, why would I complete quests from any other race besides that one?
If you can keep them in the lead sure.
Patreon
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Legend

Nice patch, and I like the new loss condition.

Some more observations about the new victory condition though:

- It effectively turns you into the angel of death. The races may not seek to destroy each other, but you're looking to finish them off. If you see a race struggling, your best bet is to kill them. If you start an early sector and see a race with a single home planet -- kill it off, it'll clear up the later game.
- There's no reason to complete quests for any race but the one you're allied with. Let the quests fester -- it'll just help your allied race destroy them.
- The difference between victory and loss ie. one allied race defeating every other race and one non-allied race defeating every other race is just a faction grind.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Elite

I agree. The change in victory conditions seems a bit pointless.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Expert

Thanks a lot for the patch!

Some very quick thoughts on the new win condition though:
I'm very unsure if that really brings out the strong points of the game. E.g. the specialties of the Dryads are now worthless or better make them pesky guys (or girls) you need to kill off fast.

I would rather like to see making it possible to have still multi-allied victories and reward them more as they are more work if you manage even more than two races!

Just simply killing everyone off each time seems kinda weak compared to the great possibilities and interaction of the AIs and players with those.

After some star systems it will be clearer. But on first glance I don't think this makes the game shine more.

Let me explain a bit more:
In some of our most fun games we actually helped races we liked forge an alliance. By guarding some diplomatic ships through tough systems, starting a rumor and quickly defending ships and planets. That's great stuff. Actually you can shape the galaxy - up to some point - after your desire.
By killing monsters close to planets or ships with most races you can always gain some reputation back.

If some players don't like this style, this is certainly a matter of taste. But I rather would like to see more chances to interact. At least please bring back the possibility to set the old style as possible generation for a star system. ("Winning condition: Allied Victory/Last Race standing/..) When allied victory is the goal, the races shouldn't be more warlike than before, if Last race they can be more warlike.

On a last thought: Why couldn't there be instead/in addition to the rumor be a chance to get a quest to further the relation? That way you would rather play the game actually than only spend money? This would also be a great way to introduce more meaningful quests/questlines.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Elite

Exclamation Minor .904 bugs

1. Bug: The lose condition countdown timer's hover text states that "you are currently in a war with all of the remaining races", however, I am not at war with the lone remaining race, nor was I ever, and we have a Mutual Protection Pact as well. This should be rewritten to state the actual win condition of being allied with them.

Not sure if it matters in this case, but this was a sector started in .903. I blew up the last Utopian planet myself (whom I was at war with) which started the loss timer.

Screenshot 1: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug...condition1.jpg
Screenshot 2: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug...condition2.jpg

2. Bug: Brunt was trying to get me to break my treaty with Utopian for 8,263 credits, and I ignored it for a while (rather than decline); after a while they had fewer than 8,000 credits but the offer remained the same. I didn't accept it at that point so I'm not sure how much I would've actually gotten or if it would've driven them into the negative. I'll keep my eye out for a similar situation.

Screenshot: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug...ny_credits.jpg