Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
robmack robmack is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 37
Default NPC patrols and escorts

What I really like about Drox is the feeling that you are visiting a thriving world, and you are just a small cog in that wheel.

Visiting planets, especially of powerful races should feel like you are entering an exciting, and maybe dangerous sphere of influence.

I was thinking to help with this immersion, all approaching ships to a planet would be greeted by an escort from that planet. This would include the player, but also all freighters, diplomatic ships etc.

The escort would greet the player with a quick message, depending on faction alliance. It could be any thing between a friendly offer of an honor guard, to an announcement that weapons are locked.

Also, instead of ships just sitting by the planet, some would be flying about looking for enemies, and keeping them out of weapons range.

So, is this pie in the sky, or a reasonable tweak?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmack View Post
What I really like about Drox is the feeling that you are visiting a thriving world, and you are just a small cog in that wheel.

Visiting planets, especially of powerful races should feel like you are entering an exciting, and maybe dangerous sphere of influence.

I was thinking to help with this immersion, all approaching ships to a planet would be greeted by an escort from that planet. This would include the player, but also all freighters, diplomatic ships etc.

The escort would greet the player with a quick message, depending on faction alliance. It could be any thing between a friendly offer of an honor guard, to an announcement that weapons are locked.

Also, instead of ships just sitting by the planet, some would be flying about looking for enemies, and keeping them out of weapons range.

So, is this pie in the sky, or a reasonable tweak?
I think this makes sense. Rather than guarding the planet itself, powerful planets could be guarded from a certain radius, making assault of those planets difficult. They could also have defensive system (that you could sabotage).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
gornova gornova is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 184
Default

assolut a planet now (0.904) is not so easy, but your idea are good
__________________
Random Tower of games: http://randomtower.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Valgor Valgor is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 600
Default

Instead of a stationary fleet of defenders, planets could have armed satellites in orbit, equipped with shields and weaponry determined by the colonizing race's tech level.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Cheet4h Cheet4h is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
Instead of a stationary fleet of defenders, planets could have armed satellites in orbit, equipped with shields and weaponry determined by the colonizing race's tech level.
According to some other posts it's already too easy to bomb planets due to the defending ships staying at the planet as long as you don't attack it directly. These satellites would need to have a higher range than the players bomb range, and I don't know how big that is. An alternative would be to have star bases which can launch fighters.


OP: I think this would be a great idea. It would add a lot to the feeling of a living galaxy!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 PM
aReclusiveMind aReclusiveMind is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheet4h View Post
According to some other posts it's already too easy to bomb planets due to the defending ships staying at the planet as long as you don't attack it directly. These satellites would need to have a higher range than the players bomb range, and I don't know how big that is. An alternative would be to have star bases which can launch fighters.


OP: I think this would be a great idea. It would add a lot to the feeling of a living galaxy!

I've not tried .904 yet, but plan to soon. As far as I know, based on the patch notes, defensive fleets are still stationary. They will shoot if you enter their range, but you can sit outside their range and bomb the planet (and the defenders) with impunity until they blow up. Perhaps this has changed, but I don't see anything noted about it. If it hasn't changed, destroying planets isn't very difficult at all if you choose to abuse this.
__________________
aka Kardiophylax
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 AM
goodgimp goodgimp is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 85
Default

I'd also like to see roaming patrols/defenders both from an immersion and gameplay perspective. The more powerful the planet and the larger the garrison fleet, the larger of a patrol or "aggro" radius they could have.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 AM
fotan fotan is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 63
Default

I would love for there to be more social RPG elements like the one mentioned.


Like if you go to a new star system and the aliens don't know who you are and they come up to you and are like "What is your business here?"


It just makes sense realistically.

Like it could get even more interesting if you were transporting diplomats or colonists and if another people were at war with you, and you're going through their territory, and they ask you what you've got in your cargo and can they scan it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Valgor Valgor is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheet4h View Post
According to some other posts it's already too easy to bomb planets due to the defending ships staying at the planet as long as you don't attack it directly. These satellites would need to have a higher range than the players bomb range, and I don't know how big that is. An alternative would be to have star bases which can launch fighters.
Well, the satellites would be in addition to a non-stationary defensive fleet. Giving them fighters is a great idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.