Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Legend

Default Games you wish you could play, but can't

Ive had a long admiration for a lot of spiderweb software's games-geneforge, avernum4-6 as i own half their catalog. However what seems to be is that i just can't seem to get past half the game due to the incredible difficulty. I'd like to think that I'm a fairly average gamer and can figure out most things with trial and error. But the games are freakishly hard to the point where its almost intimidating to play the game.

Has anyone else had a game that they really liked the concept but it was just too freakishly hard? As it stands right now the only game i can play of theirs, enjoy and beat is avadon-the black fortress. It really kind of sucks.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Elite

I have a few of these. Osmos is one. I also really like the idea behind Paradox Interactive games, but sometimes the game systems are so obscure that I just find myself staring at the map longingly wishing that I knew what to do next.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Legend

I honestly just think that jeff makes games so fast, rushing through to get it made in half/3 quarters of a year, and in reality, he never addresses balance in his games.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Elite

If you (or anyone else) is interested, GOG.com has the entire Geneforge series(1-5) on sale for $9.99 until July 5.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Amateur

I thought I might want to play Dark Souls before they announced it for PC.
But now I fear to get it because its so hard. :P
Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 AM
Amateur

Default I never know where to start

Definitely games from Paradox.. I am a big time fan of the Civilization series, especially Alpha Centauri. It seems like Paradox often makes games that attempt to do this, Victoria, Rome, etc.. but the many I have bought and tried, like the above post, I find myself all excited to play, grab a beer and some munchies, I sit down and just end up staring at the screen stunned. I guess I need a more direct purpose for a game than "do what you want". Another series I can think of is The Guild, and The Guild II set.

My wife on the other hand is just the opposite, she will take to grand strategy games in an hour or two then play them constantly for weeks. I wish I had her resolve that way to figure them out, because I really like games (some times) that I can just run by casually clicking things with a mouse. (Lazy huh?)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Legend

Thinking about the games I just couldnt get into, I would have to say Drox Operative. While I know that I played Din's Curse to the max and every once in a while I might pick up Depths of Peril, I could never get into Drox as Im more of a fantasy guy with the usual swords, bows and spells. I still did support Soldak by buying the game even though I dont play it anymore.

Im only hoping that the next game Steven makes will be more like Dins and Dop, I love those kind of games
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Ive had a long admiration for a lot of spiderweb software's games-geneforge, avernum4-6 as i own half their catalog. However what seems to be is that i just can't seem to get past half the game due to the incredible difficulty. I'd like to think that I'm a fairly average gamer and can figure out most things with trial and error. But the games are freakishly hard to the point where its almost intimidating to play the game.

Has anyone else had a game that they really liked the concept but it was just too freakishly hard? As it stands right now the only game i can play of theirs, enjoy and beat is avadon-the black fortress. It really kind of sucks.
I agree, most of them are pretty hard if you try it by yourself. Me, I have to resort to the hint books, cheat files and my son. He's beta tested many of Spiderweb games. Knows the ins and outs and where special stuff is. I replay the games many time but only a few times all the way through. There are so many of them I can forget stuff (quests, etc) in between so its enjoyable for a while.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoy View Post
I agree, most of them are pretty hard if you try it by yourself. Me, I have to resort to the hint books, cheat files and my son. He's beta tested many of Spiderweb games. Knows the ins and outs and where special stuff is. I replay the games many time but only a few times all the way through. There are so many of them I can forget stuff (quests, etc) in between so its enjoyable for a while.
Thats cool and your lucky. I would say that Avernum-EFTP is the most simplistic of the games by jeff. Even the emperor fight in Avernum escape from the pit, wasn't that it was hard, it was more that I rushed my characters and didn't get all the training I should have got. Even then, I think I faired better than I thought I did for a 3 person party.

The avadon and gene forge series are another story, avadon especially. You can make your character and 2 allies without a high dexterity, and be unable to get past any of the fights because you made your character wrong. Even though I beat avadon once, on a second time around I still have certain fights I forget what to do.

Amber Im not sure if your son thinks this as well, but Slarty (one of the moderators) told me that even though the Geneforge series can be a little tough, he still thinks avadon was the trickiest of the series. Im starting to find I believe it too
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post

The avadon and gene forge series are another story, avadon especially. You can make your character and 2 allies without a high dexterity, and be unable to get past any of the fights because you made your character wrong. Even though I beat avadon once, on a second time around I still have certain fights I forget what to do.

Amber Im not sure if your son thinks this as well, but Slarty (one of the moderators) told me that even though the Geneforge series can be a little tough, he still thinks avadon was the trickiest of the series. Im starting to find I believe it too
I haven't gotten past the first quarter of Avadon. I hated the forced way quests went. Not being to wander around where and when I wanted really got to me. I do recall my son cussing and swearing a lot when things didn't go as he thought they would while beta-ing it. He wouldn't let me see any of it though I could hear the sound effects.

I did play the first Geneforge and I think I finished..been so long I can't remember!

I liked "Nethergate-resurrection" game. I've played both Roman and Celtic sides. Like the Celtic more though. Probably something to do with my ancestors being celts.