Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Amateur

Default Considering the game- has it become more balanced?

A complaint with many reviews was the balance in the game.. quests being too hard, bosses being hard, poor diplomacy.. has any of this been address in patches? Still considering the game. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Amateur

Well, I got this from Reflexive Arcade. Glad I spent my money for this game (especially seeing as how I hate paying for games online) and I use version 1.009. (Note, I keep hoping to see the next patch on reflexive soon -hint hint-)

While there are some things that are hard, what it comes down to is strategy...and if that doesn't work, tweak things around in the .gdb files, lol. As for me, I made things a lil bit harder and made it so that chests drop magical items a bit more often. Then made the low experience quests give a tiny bit more exp.

As for Diplomacy, I have but one thing to say - I like to make sure that the other covenants are at least 30 levs higher than myself and are at Aggressive. Makes things more interesting if you ask me.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Amateur

I don't find the game to be unbalanced in the sense of quest and boss difficulty, and I don't consider myself a spectacularly good player.

I too had read a review noting difficulty spikes. Sure, some bosses are hard (some very hard) and it can be discouraging at times, especially from about level 6 until the late teens or low 20's - on some maps (especially the ones with self-spawning mobs which your party member seems reluctant to attack), it's easy to get swamped. But all can be overcome, and in the teens you start to figure out what's going on, how to use your skills to greatest effect (and indeed which ones are worth having), and how to defeat bosses. Surely bosses are supposed to be hard, and at least here there's no sense of being blocked from continuing the game (partly because there's no discernible plot track, which is both a good and bad thing depending on where you sit on the value of plot in ARPG games).

The XP rewards sometimes seem unbalanced - at level 20, maybe 10,000+ for a group boss quest a level or two higher, versus only a few hundred for a level or two lower. There's no science behind that comment, that's just how it feels. What that does mean, is that it's worth taking a few minutes longer to do the hard ones.

I haven't gone much above 20 on any character so I can't comment on the medium to high end, and I've focused far more on the questing than the RTS elements.

Probably the biggest single imbalance imho is the class balancing, most obviously between "mage" and "mage with healing and chain armour", but that's a different topic and may change at higher levels. Up to 25 at least, if you want an "I win" button, priest ftw. TBH though I'm having much more fun with my rogue, which is equally viable once I figured her out.

Overall, for around half the cost of a "regular" PC game, tons of fun to be had here.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Elite

The priest's ability to heal is an absolute godsend (I couldn't help it, sorry). It makes up for the inefficiency of thier damage spells, which don't seem to scale horribly well. I can't compare to mages much, as I've only gotten a mage to level 6 or so. At 40-something though my priest's holy bolt spell (I forget the name) doesn't seem horribly effective. Especially compared to keeping my warrior partner healed up and running like mad (they don't like it when I heal for some reason!). I deliberately seek warrior recruits without plate; I'd rather see a better damage skill in place because I'll take care of making sure he lives, thankyouverymuch.

Class balance over all seems pretty tight, although I must say that I find warriors sort of boring to play. Not hard, just not horribly exciting. Rogues on the other hand seem the most interesting to play over all, they're like fighter jets.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delve View Post
Rogues on the other hand seem the most interesting to play over all, they're like fighter jets.
What, you mean they're deliberately designed to be unstable so that without human intervention they fall out of the sky?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Amateur

LoL. I'm stuck on the Warrior. Closest thing to having a Minotaur race so it'll do. I like brute force, plain and simple. *see's a door in my way and smashes it to smithereans* Magic (or archery) has never been an interest of mine. I blame that on 26 years of gaming. Too set in my ways I guess. The rogue may be an interest of mine, but there's no Drow or night elves present and I have no interest in playing a female character. I know, I'm just a bit picky...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'll let everyone else that's not biased say whether or not we have made any effective changes to the balance of the game since we released the game, however we have made a lot of balance changes. There are a number of them in the patch change list if you want to dig through them all. Some things I remember off the top of my head though are: made rogues do more damage, made monsters easier at the beginning of the game, made several changes to make diplomacy AI smarter, increase the reward for many quests, changes to individual unique monsters, and probably a ton of other things I don't remember.

Oh, also to answer Baskar, I gave Reflexive the 1.010 patch stuff yesterday, so hopefully they will update sometime soon.
Patreon
Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Amateur

Cool beans. Thx. Well worth the long download time. (Yes, I'm on dial up)
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Amateur

Aye, I assumed some of the initial complaints were fixed in the patches.. glad the game has been supported. I will indeed buy the game shortly. I was disappointed in Eschalon, but love Spiderwebgames' games. I try to support indie games(rpgs and adventure games) if they look promising enough(some suck but many are great).

Just out of curiosity, were sales numbers ever released? Has the game sold well?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Expert

Yeah, be sure to buy it. This is one of the best games I have ever played. There have been a lot of games that tried to be like Diablo and felt like cheap imitators. Depths of Peril feels more like it built on Diablo's strengths and then further innovated by merging it with a few other tried-and-true aspects from other popular, culty games.

I have no complaints against Depths of Peril. There are some aspects I would like to see changed, but nothing about the game was put together "incorrectly". It's just a matter of personal preference... like the way Covenant wars and raids are handled, for instance. I don't think you should be able to raid another covenant so easily nor do I think you should be able to damage their life crystal if you just declared war.

In fact, hell, I'll explain what I'd like to see right now. hehe Why not?!

I don't think that a raid should be an available option until their life stone is down to 50% and I think that a life stone should be immune to physical attack until it is down to 25% health. This would dynamically change the way raids are played out. You see, the opposing team would have to commit to a long-term war prior to being able to raid. They would have to kill a lot of their members over time to force the defenders to respawn so much as to drain the crystal down before a direct attack on it could be made. Raids are too accessible at the moment and too easy to abuse, in my opinion.

Just my two cents. This in no way has interfered with my enjoyment of this game. One of the best games I've ever bought! My favorite feature is the ability to respawn a new world at any time. Replayability and sandbox gameplay is my #1 drive when playing!